Sunday, July 7, 2013

Bug-Themed Nursery Wall Hangings and Mobile

--> I made this project nearly 2 years ago for my first (and currently, only) niece Nora. Her nursery had a bug theme, and I wanted to make a few things to help make her room more exciting.
Add caption
--> Each canvas was 8"X10" (I think?) I painted each first and cut the bugs out of felt. It definitely took some finagling to get the bugs just right, but I was so happy with them once I was done! I hot glued a piece of ribbon onto the back to hang each canvas from. While the wall hangings took quite a bit of effort, they were really fun to make and gave me a bit of artistic freedom (although the size of the snail in comparison to his shell has been a long debated topic in my home.)






--> The mobile, on the other hand, required a LOT of cutting. I cut out each bug that is hanging from that, and let me tell you, my hand was SORE from those scissors! I took two embroidery hoops (one bigger than the other) and spray painted them silver. I connected them with fishing line so that the smaller hoop hung about 6" centered above the larger hoop. I then poked a small hole through the center of each bug. I can't remember exactly, but I either used a tack or a small nail to make sure the hole didn't get too big. I threaded a piece of fishing line through the hole and tied it around a bead to hold the bug in place. The lengths of fishing line varied to keep the placement random as far as how far below the hoops the bugs hang. As you may notice, there are also flowers on some lines. For those, I threaded the line through the flower first, tied on a bead to keep the flower in place, and then followed the previously described steps to keep a bug on the line as well.
-->
I remember going to see Nora and watching her stare up at the mobile. Definitely made all the cutting worth it!

-->
 The wall hangings are still in her room (after moving from one end of California to the other), and now that she's almost 2 years old, Nora says "Hi!" to the bugs on many days. I'm glad to know my niece will see these and think back fondly on her childhood room with all of the childhood-y memories that she will start saving in the next few years.
                           ;Wendy;

No comments:

Post a Comment